Friday, April 5, 2013

Starting the Whole30

I'm sorry I haven't been posting much lately, but sometimes, life just gets in the way. I may be posting more regularly now, but a bit different. Today is day three of my whole30 journey.

What is Whole30, you may ask. Well, whole30 is meant to be a lifestyle change. For 30 days, you eat no grains, pseudo grains(like quinoa), dairy, or sugar(besides sugars that naturally occur in fruits and veggies). As said on the website, "The Whole30 is based on a Paleo framework, but restricts some foods that might be considered “Paleo” in nature. (Of course, the exact definition of Paleo varies, based on who you ask.) The goal of the Whole30 is to eliminate all foods that may be having a negative psychological or physiological effect on how you look, feel and live. As such, some technically “Paleo” foods (like honey, or desserts made with almond flour) are ruled out for the duration of your program." It is said that this plan changes your life.

So, why am I doing this? Am I trying to torture myself? Not exactly. I've been having a few ailments, which I feel are related to food, but I'm not sure which ones. I also have a huge dependence on food to make me feel better, especially in the form of ice cream or chocolate. Hopefully, by completing the 30 days, I can get a better separation between food and feelings, and therefore fix that issue.

As I said, today is my day three. Overall, I haven't been having a super tough time, though it has been a bit of work. Every morning, I cook eggs(which is starting to get old, but I'm sure I can find a solution) for breakfast. This just means I need to wake up on time, so I still get to work on time, since previously, I was eating an oatmeal I got for free once I got to work. Lunches and dinners are easy, whether it be a salad with chicken, or a roast with roasted veggies, or whatever else I get around to making. The biggest challenge has been finding dinners I can take to class that 1. Don't take up a huge amount of space 2. Don't need to be kept super cold(because they will be out of the fridge from when I leave work to when I eat, about 2 hours) and 3. Don't need to be heated. Hopefully I can find a few things that fit for this, but luckily, I only have class late one day a week now, so it isn't a huge issue.

Two and a half days in, and overall, I'm feeling ok. I'm a little tired(though that may only be partially program based), and I've been especially hungry for dinner, but I think I haven't been eating lunches that are quite big enough. I do have a headache today, but it's hard to say if it is from that, or from hitting my head on the wall(did I mention I am clumsy?). In a few more days, I'll report back, and let you all know how I'm feeling, and what I think about the program.

For more about the program, visit the Whole9's website here.

2 comments:

  1. Great JOB, right there with you... keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. warning - the Whole 30 may result in pregnancy! This is why my wife has not posted :)

    ReplyDelete