Friday, January 4, 2013

Spinach artichoke grilled cheese.

I have always loved spinach and artichoke dip. Even when I thought I didn't like spinach (because apparently I was confused as a child), I still always wanted spinach and artichoke dip. I love the flavor of artichokes, and the creaminess of the dip. Yum! Of course, when I saw a recipe that blended my favorite appetizer with a grilled cheese sandwich, I knew I had to try it. I changed a few things from the original recipe, adding roasted red pepper, using laughing cow cheese instead of sour cream, and cutting down on shredded cheese. The end product was delicious, with just enough creaminess and plenty of flavor, and, with a filling that was less than 200 calories, I didn't feel guilty eating it.





Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches

Ingredients
1 Tb olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
1/3 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
1/4 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
2 wedges light creamy Swiss laughing cow cheese
1/2 cup shredded cheese
4 slices bread

Instructions 1. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
2. Add spinach to the pan and cook until wilted, stirring occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Most of the liquid should be evaporated.
3. Add artichoke hearts and roasted red pepper. Sauté about 2 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Stir in laughing cow wedges until melted.
5. Scoop half the spinach artichoke mix onto a slice of bread. Add half of the shredded cheese and top with another slice of bread. Toast sandwich in prepared skillet*, turning once, until both sides are golden brown. Repeat with remaining filling and bread.

*I like to spray my skillet with Pam to toast my sandwiches, rather than using butter, though either method would work.

Source: Adapted from Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment