Monday, January 14, 2013

Parmesan Garlic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

First, let me say that if this all comes across a little wonky, I'm sorry, but I took some Dayquil this morning, and it tends to make me a little loopy.

My husband and I are generally pretty boring with vegetables. Out of convenience, both is time and size, we make a lot of those Green Giant boxed vegetables, focusing more on the main dish than the sides. As much as I enjoy those veggies, especially because they are so simple and my husband cannot screw them up, lately I'm been bored of them, and decided we need to eat more variety when it comes to veggies.

If you eat all your veggies out of boxes and bags, you may think you don't like Brussels sprouts. I was sure I didn't like them. They were always slimy and tasted "too green." Then, I learned that Brussels sprouts can be cooked in ways that DON'T cause them to be mushy and gross. This recipe turns out sprouts that are tender without being mushy, and with the addition of garlic and cheese, have a completely different taste than those Brussels sprouts you ate as a child. Everyone should give Brussels sprouts a second chance, because these truly were delicious. Served with a simple chicken, they really added to the meal.



Roasted Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts
Ingredients:
1 lb Brussels sprouts
2 Tablespoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off bottom on sprout and remove outer leaves. Cut Brussels sprouts into quarters or halves, depending on size.
2. Mix oil and garlic in a medium bowl. Lightly toss sprouts in the oil mixture.
3. Pour sprouts and oil into a glass 9 x 13 baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan cheese even across the top.
4. Bake 35-50 minutes, until centers are tender, stirring about every 10 minutes. If sprouts begin to char before being tender, cover dish with foil.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love brussels sprouts! I make mine almost exactly the same, except I pan roast them instead of put them in the oven. They are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete